In the past I've been a strong advocate and supporter of realism. I still lean towards realism in my design and planning but I've started re-thinking my opinion on the matter recently. There is such a thing as too much realism. For example...
I've been reading a book that discusses various aspects of ophthamology. Astigmatism is a condition which can cause a variety of visual difficulties such as double-vision, wavy images, missing edges, etc. This visual distortion is caused by an eye that has assumed an ovoid shape, like a lemon or potato . . . or an almond. The distortion produced is dependent on the angle of the ovoid eyes' axis. This means, of course, that if we were to make our systems as realistic as possible, instead of having far better eyesight than humans, elves would have far worse eyesight!
Or, they would have to have larger than normal eyes in order to fill the entirety of the almond shaped openings of their lids which they are so well known for. Just something to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment