Don't be an Ass

You'd think today's post would be politically related, what with it being the 6th and thus election day here in The States. But no, this is just an observation and a generally good rule of thumb. Don't be an ass.

For example, last night I noticed that someone in our apartment complex had parked over the line and partially in a striped off section that is a "continuation" of the sidewalk. I don't care that they parked there, but I've done that in this specific apartment complex and had my car towed. 48 hrs of pure frustration and inconvenience and $250+ later I finally got my car back. So, I decided to knock on a couple doors and find the person who's car it was. I did so and quickly found the owner, voiced my concerns and related my anecdote. She informed me that "they don't do that here at this apartment". Well, yes, they do, I just told you my car was towed, from that spot, just a few months ago. She didn't thank me. She didn't concede the possibility. She just gave a sort of lip curl that I guess was supposed to be a sneer and didn't say anything else. I left. She shut the door. This morning she had adjusted the car and was no longer over the line.

Her response was unnecessary. We live above her. I no longer worry about how much noise I make walking around or moving things. What could have remained a pleasant pseudo-acquaintance is now a restrained hostility. Rudeness is never necessary, even though it can be hard to reign in sometimes. Don't be an ass. It's just bad form.

No comments:

Post a Comment