Five years ago I designed, wrote and self-published a tabletop role-playing system which I called Renaissance: The Rebirth. It was a . . . learning experience. Two years ago I decided it was time for an update. I wanted to do the system justice. So, I started re-working the system, simplifying, tweaking and correcting the editorial gaffs that had somehow been previously overlooked. It was a casual process since so much of my time was taken up with work but it was something I thoroughly enjoyed doing.
As the simplification and tweaking process continued, I realized I was expending a lot of effort having to work around the mechanics already present in the system so I decided on a whim to try a side project. Termed tentatively Renaissance 2.0, I opened a new word document and started over from scratch, completely re-designing the system from the ground up. It quickly took shape and I soon had a whole folder for the project; Renaissance 1st edition editorial repairs were set aside and essentially archived.
It's been about a year and half since I began working on 2nd edition Renaissance and at first it continued to be a casual process. However, in the last few months I've made it a distinct priority. If I have spare time, I'm working on Renaissance. The system has been taking shape very nicely and I have a very definite and manageable list of mechanics to finish before it will be ready for public testing.
As I work on whittling away the list of remaining mechanics I'll be updating this blog with news and progress of the project. Additionally, because I spend a lot of time thinking about gaming, and not just Renaissance, not all posts will be Renaissance specific. It's a wide world of gaming and related entertainment out there and there's a lot of material to cover!
No comments:
Post a Comment